Sunday, April 16, 2017

Review : The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

Sunday, April 16, 2017
Title : The Scorpio Races
Author : Maggie Stiefvater
Genre : YA fantasy
Release Date : October 22nd, 2011
Publisher : Scholastic UK

GOODREADS | PURCHASE


Every year, the Scorpio Races are run on the beaches of Skarmouth. Every year, the sea washes blood from the sand. To race the savage water horses can mean death, but the danger is irresistible.
When Puck enters the races to save her family, she is drawn to the mysterious Sean, the only person on the island capable of taming the beasts.
Even if they stay together, can they stay alive?
A breathtaking ride that will make your heart race.

I literally have no idea how to write this review. On one hand, I'm so full of feels and words that it feel like it'll burst, but on the other hand, I know those words couldn't quite explain how I feel about this book. And I'm not being overly dramatic, guys. This book is just that good.

The funny thing is, I almost didn't buy this book. I saw it on book fair, but I've zero idea what is it about since the synopsis is pretty vague. I honestly thought that at first it's about a scorpion races, and I thought, "where's the fun in that?". Fortunately, I still buy it because it's written by Maggie Stievfater and I really want to read a book by her (though not this one, but her Raven Boys series--which I really really need to read ASAP.)

There are many things that I love from this book, but the very first thing that made me love it is actually the setting. It's set in a fictional island called Thisby, precisely in a town (or place) called Skarmouth. Every year, in the beach of Skarmouth, there's a carnivore-water-horse--known as cappail uische--race, which is Thisby's main and only attraction. Gosh guys, the way Maggie describe this place, it gave me a sudden urge to travel to a small island like this and live forever there. It sounds so beautiful and quiet and relaxing. The whole time I was reading it, it felt like I'm being transported there and do all the things the MCs do and not in my bed reading.

The main characters are also great. We've got 2 POVs here, and I love both Puck and Sean's thoughts. Puck is pretty cynical, but she's also brave and not afraid to do something unusual. On the other hand, Sean is a man with few words. Like, he only said 1 word when everyone else said 6. But that's not because he's shy or afraid to speak his mind, it's just because he's like that. His quietness calm me, and I'd love to have a friend like that. Also, the romance between them is very subtle, and yet I found myself shipping these two so hard. It's definitely not the main focus, but it's there between the words spoken and the actions done by these two,

Can I say again how magnificent Maggie's writing is? All the prose and metaphor, she wove it beautifully, and yet vividly. I read all the sentences in this book without skipping any, despite the slow pacing, because every sentence means something. I couldn't really explain it, but you'd understand if you have read the book.

I'm so glad that I read this book, because it definitely will be one of my all-time favorites. Also, do not expect The Scorpio Races is all about race, because it's not. The race doesn't even happen until around the last 20 pages. It's more about growing up and facing reality and coming of age, really. If you have or haven't read any book by Maggie Stievfater, I really recommend this one.


4 comments:

  1. Oh wow I've never seen this particular cover of the book but this is GORGEOUS!I love Maggie Stiefvater's writing and The Raven Cycle is my all-time favorite <3 I hope I love The Scorpio Races just as much! And I hope you get to read The Raven Boys soon... Great review :) I'm glad the dual PoVs didn't confuse but was done well!

    New GFC follower,
    Uma@Books.Bags.Burgers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm planning to read The Raven Boys soon! I have high hopes for it and I'm pretty sure I won't be disappointed. Thanks Uma <33

      Delete
  2. Ahh, I have had this book on my shelf for over a year now, but I still haven't gotten around to reading it. Maggie is one of my favorite authors ever. Her Raven Boys Series was number one for me for years! Great review.. I am definitely going to pick this book up now (:
    Morrighan@Elysian Fields<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely have this book for some times before deciding to read it xD Hope you enjoy it, and thanks Morrighan!

      Delete

The Bookish Thought © 2014